Setting up with SoundID Reference standalone app
Installing the SoundID Reference app
The main module of SoundID Reference products is the SoundID Reference app. It is used for logging into your user account, downloading new headphone profiles, and, most importantly, calibrating the sound of all local and online music playback - be it streamed music, local files, games, or browser media.
SoundID Reference installer (download here) will install the SoundID Reference app in the default location on your Mac (Applications folder) or PC (C:\Program Files\Sonarworks).
Getting started with the SoundID Reference app
Launch the app from your desktop, Applications folder, or the Start menu. First, you will need to sign in to your Sonarworks account to use the SoundID Reference suite.
Click on Sign in to SoundID Reference to open the web interface and sign in with your existing account, or create a new one. Options for your social media or Google logins are available too.
Once logged in with your preferred sign-in method, you will be able to activate the license with your
activation key (if you have already purchased the software). If it's your first time, go ahead and start your trial by clicking on Activate on this device - you will be redirected to the SoundID Reference app and logged in:
Setting up your output devices in SoundID Reference app
To calibrate your system, first set up a preferred output device. It can be your built-in headphone port, an audio interface/DAC device.
- Click on Add new output in the left sidebar to open a selection of available devices
- Choose the device which you're going to be using with your speakers or headphones
- Select the output channels of your selected device and test if the audio is passing through by clicking Play a test tone. When ready, click the Add output button on the bottom of the panel
Loading your headphone calibration profile
Headphone calibration profiles are pre-made and readily available in SoundID Reference (all editions). We have measured and averaged close to 300 headphone models. See the full list of supported headphones here or simply start a free trial to view what's available.
- Click on Select your calibration profile at the top of the app
- Select Add headphones to search for your headphone model
- Select one of our averaged pre-made profiles (AVG profile) for your headphone model
- For individually calibrated headphones (IHC profile), select Individual calibration and enter your calibration ID. See detailed instructions for IHC here
Create and load your speaker calibration profile
For speaker calibration, you will first need to measure your setup first with the SoundID Reference speaker measurement module and a measurement microphone (available in SoundID Reference for Speakers & Headphones with Measurement Mic). If you already have already measured your speakers, proceed to Step 2 below.
- Click on Select your calibration profile > New speaker measurement and follow the instructions for creating a new speaker profile
- Once your profile is created, click Open profile to open the Sonarwoks Projects directory
- Select a speaker calibration profile (.swproj file) and click Open to load it
New and improved device/preset/profile configuration flow. This will allow you to create multiple outputs, assign presets to them and configure those to your needs.
- Multiple output devices
- Multiple presets and their configuration
- Each preset can have its own configuration (Flat, Custom, Translation Check)
You're all set!
Once you have loaded the appropriate headphone or speaker calibration profile, you're all set to start working! All outgoing system audio is now calibrated and you can start hearing the difference.
To have a quick in-app guide of the new features, you can click on the See what's new button in the center (or access it later from the ⋮ Menu icon).
- Setting up with SoundID Reference DAW plugin
- Setting up with speaker calibration
- Setting up on Headphones
If you require additional assistance you can reach out to support by submitting a support request below.