How to uninstall Reference 4 [Mac]
To uninstall the Reference 4 Systemwide app, first quit the app as shown in the screenshot below.
After quitting the app you can drag Sonarworks files/applications to the Trash or select the file and use the keyboard shortcut Cmd+Delete. You'll find Sonarworks software stored in these locations:
- /Macintosh HD/Applications/Reference 4 Systemwide
- /Macintosh HD/Applications/Reference 4 Measure
- /Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/Sonarworks Reference 4 plugin.component
- /Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/Sonarworks Reference 4 plugin.aaxplugin
- /Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Sonarworks Reference 4 plugin.vst
Calibration profiles, settings and log files, and other data
- /Macintosh HD/Users/Username/Library/Sonarworks/Reference 4/Sonarworks Projects
- /Macintosh HD/Users/Username/Library/Sonarworks
Note that the Users > Library folder on Mac is a hidden directory by default. To show hidden files and folders in Finder, follow these instructions:
- In Finder, open up your Macintosh HD folder
- Press Command+Shift+Dot
- Your hidden files will become visible. Repeat step 2 to hide them again!
- Alternatively, to show hidden files you can execute a Terminal command - see here.
Removing the Systemwide driver manually via Terminal
In some cases, after an unsuccessful uninstall attempt, the Systemwide app can still be present and listed as an available audio device in Sound Settings/Audio MIDI Setup. If this is the case, launch the Terminal app (use Cmd+Space to search for it, or locate in Launchpad). Then enter (copy-paste) the following commands into the Terminal window one by one, and hit the Enter key to execute each command. After executing the commands, reboot your Mac to complete the process:
For versions 4.4.7 (or higher):
- sudo rm -fr /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SonarworksSystemwide.driver
For versions 4.4.6 (or lower):
- sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/Sonarworks.kext
- sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/Sonarworks.kext
If you get stuck at any point or have any further questions about the uninstall process, please contact us by submitting a support request below!