This page lists the release notes from every production version of Sonarworks Reference software.
- If you are not using the latest installer of Sonarworks Reference 4 software, please update to the latest version available on our Downloads page.
- If you are using Sonarworks Reference 3, you can find out more about your upgrade options on our Upgrade Policy page.
Date of release: 23/10/2019
- Headphone profile list now batches the headphone profiles by manufacturer instead of showing all profiles in a single alphabetical list
- Added an optional Safety Buffer in Settings – Audio. Selecting this can solve minor sound artefacts present in some setups
- Buttons in New update available alerts now lead to Reference Downloads page instead of serving an offline installer
- Several minor design tweaks, including title bar appearance and visual element alignment
- Opening a SWPROJ or SWHP file now opens the Add Preset dialogue with the specific file already loaded in place
- Educational licenses displayed correctly in UI and license views
- Preset names are generated automatically when copying an existing preset. User can still edit the name if necessary
- If no devices are available, correct disabled states are presented in Settings
- When adding Individually Calibrated headphones, type cursor placed in the input field as the view is opened
- When adding new Average correction profiles, preset names are generated automatically. User can still edit the name if necessary
- Added a Restart audio playback engine in the set-up guide of Systemwide which can solve some audio issues occurring the set-up
- In-app survey for new users now appears later and only after some audio has passed through Systemwide
- Fixed a bug that prevented changing volume if no preset was selected
- Fixed a bug which caused channel names to be displayed incorrectly in Settings view
- Fixed a bug that caused onboarding tooltips to appear incorrectly
- Fixed a bug that caused Systemwide to crash when quitting the app
- Fixed a bug that caused Systemwide to display the wrong output channel name
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused Systemwide to crash on startup
- Fixed a bug that caused Systemwide to show Your trial has ended alert for new users
- Fixed a bug that prevented Systemwide showing all available buffer sizes in ASIO mode for some devices
- Other minor minor visual and performance fixes
- Fixed a bug which prevented Individually Calibrated headphone profiles to be loaded in the plugin
Date of release: 26/09/2019
- New Presets sidebar allows easier management of user output devices and calibration profiles. More info regarding this can be found here.
- [Win] Users can now launch Systemwide in ASIO mode if their output device does not support WASAPI. You can find the option to do so in Settings – Audio.
- Starting from this release onwards Systemwide will detect if a new version is released and notify the user. User can also manually check for updates from Systemwide GUI. Disable the notifications from Settings – Notifications.
- [macOS] Support for macOS 10.15 Catalina added
- Output channels can be selected separately, as opposed to having them in pairs. Useful for switching the Left/Right channels or configuring more complex setups.
- Retry button now available if license activation fails due to network issues.
- Systemwide starts in Dark Theme for new users if their operating system is set to dark mode too.
- User has the option to disable the GPU process, which can decrease energy consumption but might introduce visual artifacts. Find the option in Settings – General.
- Setup guide flow slightly improved to provide more clarity for new users.
- [macOS] Fixed a bug that caused multiple notifications to appear at the same time.
- [Win] Fixed a bug that prompted users to calibrate unsupported devices, crashing the playback engine.
- [Win] Fixed an issue with a white border for the title bar in the Dark Theme.
- [Win] Added the missing title for Systemwide in the taskbar.
- Added the version and build numbers to the license information view.
- Minor design and performance updates.
Starting from this release onwards Reference Plugin will detect if a new version is released and notify the user. User can also manually check for updates from the Plugin.
Date of release: 25/06/2019
- Fixed the issue of clicks and pops on Windows.
- OSX: fixed a bug that only played audio to the first channel pair for multichannel devices.
- Windows: fixed the issue of installation files missing.
- OSX: fixed the issue of System sample rate not synchronizing with Systemwide sample rate, causing deadlocks and loss of audio when changing settings in Audio MIDI Settings or when opening DAWs with different sample rates.
- Fixed the issue of Systemwide freezing when trying to close the app.
- Fixed a bug in “Test output” button which froze the Settings view.
- Sliders improved – Dry/Wet slider, Gain slider and Bass Tilt/Boost sliders can be set to a precise value by dragging them, clicking on them or scrolling with the mouse wheel.
- Implemented a simple survey for new users.
- New and improved alerts when attaching new devices and other warnings. OSX: users informed about Microphone Access before the system asks for the permission.
- Small improvements in new user onboarding process.
- Shortcuts implemented:
- Alt+Left click on Systemwide icon in Menu Bar / Tray Menu turns calibration on/off
- Spacebar turns calibration on/off when Systemwide UI is open
- Ctrl+, (Win) or Command+, (OSX) opens Settings when Systemwide UI is open
- Escape closes Settings or License information views
- Notifications and tray icon context menu supports Unicode characters
- Other minor improvements in design and functionality
- Fixed a bug that crashed DAWs when Reference Plugin is in a project and the internet connection is lost.
- When launching Systemwide from Plugin, Systemwide will appear in front
Date of release: 11/06/2019
A new onboarding experience helping users to set up Systemwide properly:
On-demand headphone profile download speeds up set-up significantly and ensures that only necessary files are saved on users’ systems:
Users can now download profiles for their individually measured headphones directly in the app:
Menubar / tray menu that is both simplified and offers quicker access to essential features like changing Systemwide’s output device:
Dark theme for making the UI easier on the eyes for those of you working in the dark:
- Improved virtual sound device performance and behavior.
- Several minor improvements to make the UI more easily usable and informative.
Systemwide and Plugin
- Mixed filter mode. An improved version of our previous ‘Optimum’ filter mode providing low latency with low phase distortion and much less noticeable pre-ringing artifacts. A great middle ground between the zero latency and linear phase modes!
- Room measurement can now be launched directly from Systemwide as well as the DAW plugin.
- The DAW plugin can now launch Reference Systemwide in cases where new headphone profiles must be downloaded to the system.
Date of release: 10/04/2019
- Fix for a bug that did not allow to resume downloading after a connection error. (Windows)
- Fix for a scenario when user or third party software removes the cached MSI files from “C:\Windows\Installer” folder and prevents uninstall or updates. (Windows)
- Fix for a bug that prevented control of system volume when using certain output devices.
- Drag and drop functionality added for a quick correction profile selection.
- Fix for a bug that launched main UI to show after every reboot. (Windows)
- Some ASIO drivers that were causing a crash in I/O selection step have been blacklisted. (Windows)
- Fix for a bug that sometimes caused a Debug Mode crash or prevented the creation of log files. (Windows)
- Fix for a bug that did not allow to select output channels other than the first pair (1-2) for some devices. (OSX)
- Render Bypass notification design upgrade (text and option to turn off from the notification).
- Added Render Bypass notification support for Ableton Live 10 Standard. (Windows)
- Drag and drop functionality added for a quick correction profile selection.
Date of release: 26/2/2019
- A notification added in several DAWs that reminds users to turn off calibration when rendering is detected. A list of supported DAWs can be found here.
- Output device changes handled more consistently, remembers the choice you make about which devices to calibrate and what volume is preferred
- The menu bar icon on OSX is now updated and adjusts its appearance in dark mode as well
- Settings are now more conveniently accessible from the main UI; look for the cog icon in the top-right corner
- Context menus have been added or improved for tray and menu bar icons on Windows and Mac respectively; easier to find essential Systemwide functionality
Date of release: 12/2/2019
- No longer loads a headphone profile instead of a speaker profile upon launch
- Fixed timing related crashes
Date of release: 4/1/2019
- Fixed Systemwide window popping up on boot.
- Fixed the bug that caused Measure to show empty curves when opening an existing measurement
- Fixed issues when saving the project in measure
Date of release: 31/10/2018
- Added the option for users to activate trial from Plugin and Systemwide.
- Fixed a bug where client did not receive IHP profile when authorising.
- Fixed a bug where Windows installer rebooted computer during install.
- Added a feature to update/download profiles from either Plugin, Systemwide or Measure
- Added 60 new supported headphone models.
- Fixed a bug on OSX when Systemwide was consuming too much CPU power.
- Fixed bug where Measure showed incorrect graph for microphone frequency response
- Plugin now supports 32-bit AAX and VST
- Fixed a bug where Reference 4 might conflict with other vendor plugins causing a crash.
Date of release: 21/08/2018
- Fixed a crash in OSX Systemwide when user closed main UI during on-boarding, then opened Systemwide menu-tray and clicked “Got it”.
- Fixed a bug when on-boarding tooltip was shown to load a profile, but profile was already loaded.
- Measure now supports rare microphone IDs which consist of 7-digits instead of 6.
- AAX plugin was showing that it is a VST plugin, when in fact, it is an AAX plugin.
- A Linux VST of Reference plugin is now available. It is not included in the install package. Can be received upon an individual request to firstname.lastname@example.org or in the Sonarworks beta community on facebook.
Date of release: 23/07/2018
- Fixed a one time crash when updating to new version during the install process.
Date of release: 18/07/2018
Systemwide / Plugin:
- Pop-up window shadows are thinner, therefore easier to not click them since mouse clicks on them are not registered.
- Before if the user closed UI in the middle of onboarding, then onboarding started from the beginning the next time the user opened the UI. Now the onboarding will continue from the step the user closed UI.
- Systemwide UI was broken after closing the licensing window.
Information tooltips are now displayed in the correct positions.
- Fixed bug where if a trial key is activated over HP permanent license, then all products are shown as studio trial.
- The measured speaker profile is automatically loaded in Plugin and Systemwide as the active profile.
Date of release: 07/07/2018
- Removed “Hardware Setup info” step
- Metric or Imperial is now set to OS default
- Gain knob animation only moves one way
- Changed “in” to “inches”
- Bass/Tilt is disabled if set to 0/0 values
- SR onboarding tooltip is hidden if the plugin and systemwide is bypassed
- Level meters are glitchy
Date of release: 28/06/2018
- Fixed issue with Cubase 9.5.3 not working with Sonarworks plugin
- Random DAW crashes with Sonarworks plugin (if Acoustica plugins were present)
- Fixed random crashes during measurements
- Crash on OSX when using devices which don’t support channel names (software crash after mic selection)
- Crash during mic profile handling
- Measurements are taking too long error bug
- Improved ASIO device handling
- Systemwide now shows the full version number
Sonarworks Reference 4.1
Date of release: 05/06/2018
- Revised instructions. We have revised the instructions about a hardware setup and measuring process.
- Calibration microphone profile can be downloaded directly from the software. Download the Sonarworks XREF 20 Measurement Microphone calibration profile automatically in the software by entering a mic ID number.
- View microphone frequency response graph. You can visually explore a measurement microphone frequency response curve for Sonarworks measurement microphone as well as other calibration microphones that come with an individual calibration profile.
- Revised feature set. We have removed features that were unnecessary and added new ones because of the streamlined measuring process.
Voice feedback for the speaker distance measuring phase added. The voice feedback informs you about the state of the measuring process. It is useful if you have a studio where speakers are placed behind a computer screen and you’re not able to see the screen while standing by the speakers during the measuring process.
- Revise dimensions more easily. Now you can revise the dimensions measured between the listening spot and the speakers more easily — just measure the distance in straight line from your listening spot to each speaker.
- Revised representation of measuring points in a schematic setup (speakers and a listening area). The schematic representation of your setup allows you to locate the microphone and reminds you to aim between speakers.
Explore your speaker frequency response curve. The legend of the graph displays a value of each point in the graph when you hover a mouse cursor on it.
- More explicit warning and error messages. We’re trying to guide you through the measuring process by providing as much useful information at the right time as possible.
Systemwide and Plugin:
- Sonarworks Studio Reference. It is the most neutral and balanced target. It will ensure that the energy throughout the whole frequency spectrum remains the same.
- A revised set of features and their labels. We have reorganized the UI for several reasons: 1) removal of the simulations, 2) importance of the features and the order of their use. Also, we have renamed some of the features: we’re searching for labels for features that you could recognize or learn in a moment.
- Switching between headphone and speaker profiles from the main UI of Systemwide. Now also Systemwide (identically to the plugin) enables switching between the profiles from the main UI. The switch on the main UI and the Systemwide’s widget work in sync.
- Revised onboarding. Now we’re onboarding you contextually: the software displays few tooltips that are relevant for quick-start and getting to hearing the calibrated sound faster.
- Revised frequency response curve graph. Now you can learn about each frequency response curve from descriptions next to the menu. The graph also gives a visual feedback regarding what’s being changed when you change the settings (e.g., Bass Boost, Limit Controls, etc.)
- Warning when the calibration is turned off by changing Dry/Wet control settings. You can adjust the Dry/Wet control to adjust the level of correction applied. But when you turn it to 0, the correction is turned off. So you would know it, the software informs you by displaying a warning icon and a tooltip.